License Exams - 12:30 Registration -  Austin RoomVE-Logo


We test for all elements at our ARRL/VEC examinations at Austin Summerfest.  You do not need to inform us in advance of your intention to take one of the exams unless you have special needs or issues to discuss, just be at the testing location at the time listed, 12:30PM at the Austin Conference Room of the Crowne Plaza Hotel.  Bring one form of identification with your picture embedded i.e.:Driver's License, Passport, School ID, etc. and one other form of ID with your name embossed or embedded in it such as any credit card and $15.00 in cash or we will take a check made out to ARRL/VEC in that amount.  For a young person, an envelope with a cancelled stamp or postage meter stamp addressed to the youngster with the same address as used on the license application will satisfy the need for the second form of identification.

If you are upgrading an existing license you will need to bring along one of the two original licenses issued to you (either the wallet-sized one or the one "suitable for framing") and a Xerox copy of the one that you bring to the test session. We will look at the original to confirm its authenticity and keep the Xerox copy of it for our files. It's OK for you to bring a calculator provided that that you clear all memories in it prior to bringing it to the test session if it has memories. You will need to demonstrate that all of its memories have been cleared if one of the Volunteer Examiners asks you to do so. You can do any calculations necessary by hand on the back of the answer sheet. A plain old four-banger calculator with no memories is probably all that you would need if you really felt the need to bring one to the test session.

You may fill in the application form in advance of the test date on NCVEC Form 605. Open the attached PDF of this form. You can electronically type in your information and then print out the completed form and bring it to the test session. Otherwise, we will have blank forms that you can fill in on site. Bring your ballpoint pen with black ink in it for this task and making various signatures on this and other forms at the test session. The ARRL/VEC office will use your completed form to process your license and would actually prefer that you fill it in and print it out to avoid the problem of them misreading forms filled in by hand.

If you already have an FCC Registration Number (FRN) issued to you, you must use that number and not your Social Security Number on the application form. If you do not currently have an FRN assigned to you by the FCC you do not need to request one in advance of your taking the Technician Class exam.  Enter your social security number on the application form and you will automatically be assigned an FRN on your new amateur radio license when it is issued.


How to Obtain an Official FCC License Copy


There are a number of ways a license holder can obtain an official copy of their license. The official license will display the FCC logo and the watermark "Official Copy" will be printed across each page of an official authorization from FCC. 

1.  Download and Print License:  The licensee can log into the FCC ULS License Manager System with their FRN and password to ‘Download the Electronic Authorization’ of the official license. On the ‘Download Authorizations’ page the license holder will add their call sign to the ‘Authorizations to Download’ and then click download. The PDF of the license can be saved to a computer and printed later or the file can be opened and printed immediately. 

2.  Login and Set Paper Preferences:  The licensee can log into the FCC ULS License Manager System with their FRN and password and set their own paper authorization preferences for future mailings. This option determines whether a user will receive paper authorizations (printed license and FRN information) from the FCC. The license holder would select either YES or NO and then click SAVE. By selecting YES, you will continue to receive paper authorizations printed and mailed by the FCC. By selecting NO, you will not receive authorizations printed and mailed from the FCC. This preference will affect all granted authorizations on this FRN. 

3.  Receive License via email:  When modifying, renewing or requesting a duplicate copy of the license, a licensee who already has an FCC Registration Number (FRN) and provides a valid e-mail address under “Applicant Information” while logged in to the ULS system will receive an official ULS-generated electronic authorization via e-mail.

The action of adding a valid e-mail address into the FCC system can also be performed by a VEC filing new, upgraded, modified or renewed licenses on behalf of applicants. 

4.  Contact FCC:  Licensees may contact FCC Support via the web, by telephone (1-877-480-3201) or by mail to request paper licenses. Please note that FCC recently stopped using distinctive paper stock to produce hard copy licenses and has been printing these on “standard, white recycled paper.” The Bureau noted that the distinctive paper stock it had used was six times more expensive than the plain recycled paper it now uses. 


If you have any questions please call Larry Gunter at (512) 345-7281 or send him an E-Mail to